Thursday, July 9, 2009

What choosest Thou? Anxiety or Excitement

A friend of mine once said "anxiety and excitement is generated from the same place in our brain, the difference is how we translate it in the moment". How true is that. I have felt a hint of anxiety lately as Megan and I get ready to head out to L.A. to join YWAM as staff which means we get to ask friends and loved ones to support us financially. To be honest that has the potential to be unnerving.
If I were to put my feelings into words, it'd sound some thing like this "Now that things are changing dramatically and everything's uncertain financially, God's going to use this opportunity to withhold every possible good thing from me".

Let's be real we live in families, communities and a world where unfortunately people look for our vulnerable moments and try to "get" us and sometimes we are the ones out to get people. The tragedy is that we can't help but think God's the same way waiting for a perfect opportunity to "teach" us a lesson. You would think we should know by now that God is not out to trap us in some weird way but the reality is that there is a difference between what we know in our heads about God and what we have become convinced of. So for me I find myself wrestling and wondering if God is going to hear my prayer this time. If He's going to come through yet again? Why would he since I haven't been "ultra spiritual" or "super christian" or whatever word you'll use to describe your "devotion" to God. So I get anxious and get tempted to fix it and yet deep down there's a subtle sense or feeling or God saying "I love you" "I love you period". The problem is it sounds too good to be true. So there you go I am discovering that I am a much loved child period. As simple as this might sound I have made a choice to translate all my anxiety as excitement.

Paul said something like "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

1 comment:

Megan said...

This is a great perspective for life honey! It is a mindset thing, and choosing the right mindset and translating anxiety into excitement can lead to the very transforming of a life! I love you and your new blog look :-)